In the state of Maryland, residential rental properties built before 1978 are required to be registered and then renewed annually with the Maryland Department of the Environment.
Residential rental properties built after 1977 and properties that have a passing Lead Free Inspection certificate are exempt.
On or after January 1, 2015, all properties built prior to 1978 must have a new lead inspection certificate at each change of occupancy.
In order to start this process you will need to contact MDE and pay a 30$ registration fee as well as obtain a MDE Tracking number.
How do I find my MDE Tracking MDE tracking number?
Contact the Lead Rental Registry Section at email@example.com or call 410-537-4199 or 1-800-776-2706. Provide the name of the person or company who owns the property for which you need the tracking number.
Once you have this tracking number we will be able to perform your lead inspection. Dust samples will be taken at the property and taken to an accredited laboratory for analysis. A visual inspection will be performed of the property for any chipping flaking paint.
Tips for a passing lead certificate.
- Seal and repair all chipping, flaking paint.
- Clean all floors, window wells, sills.
- Remove any and all dust from inside the property.
- Vacuum carpet with a strong vacuum with a heap filter if possible.
- Dusty basement floors should be cleaned thoroughly and sealed with a new fresh coat of paint to ensure best results.